Liability in a Swimming Pool Accident
Swimming Pool Accident Lawyer
Although swimming pools are great to enjoy during warm weather, they can quickly become very dangerous when pool owners fail to take the necessary steps to keep the pool and the area safe. All pool owners should be aware of the risks that a swimming pool poses; however, some property owners fail to fulfill their legal duties and are left with the legal repercussions brought on by a Los Angeles swimming pool injury lawyer. Victims may be entitled to compensation for their losses that they have endured. At Mann & Elias, our team is very familiar with these types of cases and know exactly what it takes to pursue justice on behalf of the victim. Swimming pool accidents can be extremely dangerous, as they can result in lifelong injuries or even death. If you or a loved one has been the victim of a swimming pool accident, then it is in your best interest to consult with a swimming pool accident lawyer as soon as possible to preserve your rights.
The types of swimming pool accidents that occur can range exponentially. To get an idea, our team has composed a list of common swimming pool hazards and injuries.
- Drowning: Drowning is the leading cause of injury-related death for children between the ages of one and four. However, if a victim survives a drowning accident, then it can easily lead to brain damage from loss of oxygen in a near-drowning accident.
- Slips and falls: Slip and fall accidents are common in pool areas due to the wet ground. This can easily cause people to slip and fall on the wet surface, which can lead to serious injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones, and more.
- Defective pool drains: If a pool drain is not properly covered, it can lead to soft tissue injuries, damage to internal organs, or drowning.
In order for property owners and parents to avoid such an accident from occurring, it is important that you implement preventative measures to keep people safe. Here are some effective tips:
- Proper supervision: One of the most important and effective preventative measures is providing proper supervision and setting ground rules. You should communicate with children about the dangers of pools, as well as setting rules that prohibit running, roughhousing, etc. Additionally, an adult should be present at all times to avoid an accident from occurring and he or she should solely be paying attention to the children in the water and should not be distracted whatsoever.
- Pool maintenance: Pools should always be properly maintained. This means that the pool should be cleaned regularly, cleared of debris, chlorine levels should be tested, and pool drains should be checked.
- Avoid alcohol: Alcohol and water among adults and adolescents poses an extreme threat and puts you and anyone else in the water at risk for a serious accident.
- Prohibit shallow water diving: Diving into shallow water can result in a serious injury and should be avoided if the water is less than six feet deep. Additionally, diving should only be done by an experienced swimmer.
- Safety equipment: Items such as a first aid kit and floatation devices (life vests, safety rings, etc.) are extremely important.
Do not use during extreme weather: Pools should always be avoided during intense weather such as thunderstorms, rain, and even when it’s excessively hot.
- Fences: Installing a fence that separates the pool area from the rest of the yard and the house is extremely important. The pool fence should be at least 4 feet tall and have a self-closing and self-latching gate. Avoid any type of fence that children can easily climb.
- Alarms: You should install an alarm on any of the house doors that lead to the pool. Additionally, you can buy floating pool alarms. It is important to know that alarms are not a substitute for proper fencing and supervision, though.
If you or a loved one were injured in a pool accident due to the negligence of a property owner, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Our team at Mann & Elias can help you with every aspect of your case. For more information, feel free to give us a call any time to speak to a reputable Los Angeles swimming pool accident attorney. Our Los Angeles personal injury attorney will fight for your rights and get you the compensation you deserve.